Monday, November 22, 2010

Because I can: New Year's Plans for 2011

I’ve sucked at blogging over the last couple of weeks. I restarted last week with good intentions that obviously went south … and today I’m going to try to start again. (What is it they say about roads and good intentions?)

The imminent arrival of the silly season has had thinking about next year and what my plans for 2011 should be. After never doing it before, my plans for 2010 have turned out to be so positive and inspirational I’m going to do it again.

I like the idea of plans rather than resolutions. A resolution is so permanent and inflexible. Contrast that with a plan. There’s so much for flexibility with a plan.

And flexibility turned out to be required because some of my plans for 2010 were well and truly achieved. Others have fallen by the wayside to be picked up again next year.

The most important part of my plans turned out to be choosing a wish for the year. That was inspired by Cathy (tinniegirl) who offered herself as the custodian of our wishes for the year. Mine was to explore: explore my creativity, explore my life … to just get out there and see who I was and what I wanted. (Thanks Cathy … it was a wonderful idea and so much appreciated).


That led to me engaging more with my life than achieving certain plans … but that was alright and I cheerfully and unselfishly submitted to a sybaritic lifestyle. You’re only young once right?

With that in mind I’ve been looking forward to next year. I have renovations and other boring stuff that really needs to be done and I wondered what sort of wish could see these achieve as well (like “organise”) but they invariably took me to a point where I’d forever been comparing 2011 (as the most boring year) with 2010 (as a totally fun year!).

I absolutely didn’t want to fail before I started so I’ve settled on somewhere in between … with BALANCE. After that the detail should fall into place.

I'll have to see whether I can devise some sort of art work to reflect balance. I wonder what I should do?

So what are your plans for the new year? Or do you like to wing it and see where life takes you?

2 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I never have any real plans. I just wing it and hope for the best!

Sally said...

I've started to think about my objectives and goals ... but I haven't made any clear decisions yet.