Friday, September 3, 2010

My Creative Space

I spent the last week furiously knitting a baby hat and scarf, and then the baby booties for my aunt's first granddaugther. Baby stuff is so sweet. I just love baby stuff and how quickly it knits up.

And now I've started on a hat and scarf for the baby. I've learnt from last week and I'm going to make it a little bigger.


Hannah will be born in October to a northern hemisphere (Canadian) autumn. That means she'll get good value out of a scarf and hat and I need to make sure they'll last six months at least and maybe even the next winter as well.

Just in case you're interested, the hat pattern is the Boyfriend Hat from Ravelry. I've banged on about this hat before including posting an example a couple of days ago of a blue/green version but it really is so simple and only takes a couple of day ... the ideal project for a beginner. It's definitely a better project than the usual boring scarf.

The pattern is in blocks of ten so to make it larger all you need to do it add ten stitches at a time until you get the size you want. I've also made it in exactly the same size (100 stitiches) for an adult male (10ply yarn/4.5mm needles) and for a baby (5ply yarn/3.25 needles). This time I'm going to try it with 110 stitches/5ply yarn/3.25 needles.

Happy crafting and pop over to Kirsty's at kootoyoo for lots more craftiness.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I like the idea of a "baby boyfriend hat" - sounds (and looks) so cute!

Sandrine said...

OH happy hatting and Merci!:)Bon weekend x

Unknown said...

I love crocheting, sewing and knitting - but when using yarn I hate patterns and counting stitches. I prefer to size it the child. I know, crazy! (Maybe it's my ADHD?) I used to draw my own patterns for sewing too.

Thanks so much for the visit.

Cotton Kiwi said...

What a great gift. I'm sure it will be really appreciated!

quilary said...

I love the colour for a little baby girl - not overly pink - but definitely girly.