Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ruby Tuesday & Good things

Ruby Tuesday
It's not only Ruby Tuesday but it's also Mary T over at Work of the Poet's birthday ... Happy birthday Mary. I hope you had a great day.

Over the weekend Mr H and I went to Dandenong to the market for fresh fruit and vegetables and got quite a few bargains ... 5kgs of Basmati rice for $6.50 was the best bargain of the day, followed by delicious caraway rye bread (a favourite of mine spread with hommus) and of course lots of fresh fruit and veg.

But my favourite of the day was a huge bunch of fresh beetroot … my favourite vegetable of all.


Beetroot's normally a once in a while treat. Our usual vegetable haunt only has baby beetroot and that’s a tad more expensive and not as nice in my opinion.

Good thing for today: My favourite vegetable beetroot

My favourite good thought for the day is knowing I get to eat beetroot every day for the next week.

It's not a favourite with my kids. They much prefer the canned variety.

But Mr H and I both enjoy it ... hot or cold, it's equally nice with lemon juice, black pepper and fresh mint.

Let me know how you like it.

For more delicious ruby redness ... visit Mary T at Work of the Poet. And don't forget to wish her happy birthday. Many happy returns Mary.

9 comments:

Bells said...

soup! soup! soup! It makes a most excellent russian soup - Borsch. Greated, or diced - there are loads of versions, some with rich beef stock, others more delicate stocks.

Must make some!

Also, a yoghurt and beetroot dip is impossible to go past!

thanks for getting me thinking!

Dimple said...

My grandmother used to pickle them-I never knew the recipe, but they were sweet and tart at the same time. YUM!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I like your photo! I am not very keen on beetroots except in a cold summer soup.

Felisol said...

We use canned beetroots as a side dish to meat dinner or meat sandwiches.
My mother did grow some in the garden when I was a child.
The awful smell of boiling beetroots still makes me shiver.
Beautiful red color though.

lynda Howells said...

l love beetroot..boiled. steamned or stewed!!Happy Ruby Tuesday to youx if you have time to view my images please go to
http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

EG CameraGirl said...

I like fresh beets too!

Tussy said...

You could make the fresh drink, it is good taste :)

My Inspiration
Bangkok in Shambles
You Got A Posty

Patti said...

I never was a fan of it; I know i should try it again

Robin said...

I like it pickled (it's a common salad here) but I'm very intrigued by Bells' yogurt and beetroot dip.

Thanks so much for voting for me this week, I really appreciate it!

-----------------
I've entered a major international photo competition (details are on my blog) and would be most grateful if you'd click through and rate my portfolio (just click on the stars at the bottom (preferably the 5th star - "fantastic" - LOL), easy peasy, no registration or personal details needed). Thanks so much!