Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ruby Tuesday Tue 12 Jan 10

RUBY TUESDAY: Red books
This week's theme over at Ruby Tuesday is red books ... and I have quite a few red covered second hand books. Check out MaryT's blog for more takes on this theme.


Just a few of my book collection ... this lot sit on a bedside table in my room.

I love the classics and I read and reread them so I figure it's worth the investment to buy them. But space is at a premium at my place ... so I look for smaller editions that won't take up much room.

Some are my favourites like A Tale of Two Cities and Masterman Ready (a recent find who predates Horatio Hornblower and equally as good) and of course Moll Flanders. I love Defoe and his insights into his world.

Some I enjoy like The Scarlet Pimpernel.

But some are not so favourites ... especially George Eliot. I don't know what it is about her but I find her so ponderous ... like wading through treacle. Which is also funny given I have two (unread) copies of Romola ... both in red covers.

Does that make her twice as unlikely to be read?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I like your comment about your two copies of George Eliot's Romola! I've only ever read The Mill on the Floss after seeing it on television when I was a girl. Ugh.

But A Tale of Two Cities - now you're talking!

And old books - I love the covers!

Gattina said...

I completely forgot about books ! and I have such a nice red collection, lol !

Coffeedoff said...

Great pile of red books!

marian said...

i see we have similar tastes in books..btw i love Tale of Two Cities & i've also got a copy of Moll Flanders which i found in an op shop in Edinburgh while visiting UK in 2006. Thanks for visiting..happy RT :)

Hootin Anni said...

So many....so many of my favorites in your photo.

Mine's Here A sweet kitty...but sour puss under the Christmas tree with ruby colored, red bows...you need to scroll down on the post, just below my pencil sketch!

Maria said...

That was a pretty pile of books. I agree classics can be fun to read. Thanks for stopping by.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like your choice of books. Many of my books are second hand too. Otherwise I would choose to use the library. But a GOOD book is worth the investment.

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I totally love this photo of red books. I plan on creating a similar pile. Reading is one of life's great pleasures, isn't it?

Hsu-Yin said...

i really love your stack of ruby books! and not only are they pretty but also such good reads! why don't they make books that looks like that anymore?! thanks for your comment on the flowers : )