Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 6 Blogtoberfest 2009 Letter to Miss W

Dear Miss W

I'm so sorry you and and the boy have split up ... it's such a horrible thing to happen.

I could tell you were shell shocked at first and I think that was why, at first, you thought about coming home. But that didn't last long ... and I'm glad you've decided to stay in Canada.

I think it's a brave decision and one I don't think you'll regret ... and I can already see you drawing on strengths and skills you probably didn't know you had.

Quite a few people have asked me how I feel about you having to cope with this so far from home ... with most people thinking you should come home or I should want you to come home.

But that wouldn't really work, would it? You'd insist of being left alone to work through things in your own time, and there's a snowball's chance in hell you'd let me wrap you up in cotton wool to make pain and hurt disappear.

So, in my usual way, I've tried to be there in case you want to talk anything thorugh ... especially when it comes to taking care yourself.

I've been more relaxed about you being so far from home from the time I heard you had a job, even though it doesn't pay as much as you're used to ... and I'm glad you've find somewhere to stay. A shared house seems a great idea to help you learn the ropes in Canada and it should be a good place to meet more people.

And I don't think it will matter that much that you'll be sharing with someone you work with in the long run because you won't be there forever, you're safe and with someone who'll notice if you're not around, cheap rent is never a bad thing when you have no money, and maybe sharing with others will help to rub some of the rough edges off! (PS Believe me you can be hell to share with!)

So Miss W, if I'm giving advice it will be to continue what you're doing because I'm proud of the great job you're doing ... and most of all learn everything you can from what happens to you: learn from what happened between you and the boy and how you might do things next time, learn what it takes to live with others from the shared house, and suck all the enjoyment you can out of living in another country because it's one of the most exciting things you will ever do.

Lots of hugs and kisses from everybody here ... and I hope we see you as soon as possible.

Love Mum xoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments: