Saturday, August 8, 2009

Project 365 Canada Thu 6 Aug 09

WALKING THE STREETS
The architecture of Canada is like nothing else I've seen, and I have to say I admire their ingenuity with building materials. None of the boring brick veneer or wood of Australia ... there's so much to choose from.


Diane's place ... she's the door on the left with her apartment upstairs.


And a view of the street.

Duplexes are also the thing in Montreal, with La Salle, where we're staying, known for them. A duplex is a concept I'm not familiar with but it's one I like. All the convenience of an apartment but your own front door and balcony. I'd like to see them in Australia.

Check out these duplexes ... so many ways to do the same thing.









Most of the duplexes have the nicest rear balconies .... absolutely huge and I would love one of those at home. But they also mainly have low wire boundary fences and you can see the whole way along the block. It's a strange concept to see everybody's back yard when Australia is so privacy conscious. It must be the English influence in Australia.


The backyard of one of the neighbouring duplexes.

And finally check out the washing lines ... a line strung from the balcony to a pole. So convenient and good with using space.


I had to try the washing line ... although not many people seem to use theirs.

So much is different, but I'm loving it.

No comments: