Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Project 365 Tue 2 Jun 09

SECOND HAND BOOKSTORES
One of the best places I've discovered to support my 19th century reading project is the second hand bookstore City Basement books.


A bookmark with their address.

It's not an easy place to find. If you didn't know it was there you might miss it, which isn't surprising considering how you get to it: a tiny cafe inhabits the foyer that leads to a training school, with the stairs to the bookstore behind the cafe.


You can just see the cafe to the right of KFC ... the stairs are behind the cafe.

I love poking through its musty stock. And it's so cheap ... $3 is all I pay for an edition in as good quality as when it was printed as long ago as the 1930s.


The aisle I pick up most of my books.

And this time around I stopped to chat with the women who work in the store and found a 'kindred spirit': someone who's as crazy as me for Richard Armitage and Sean Bean. In fact, when I mentioned Richard Armitage a little scream filled the air and we all laughed! I think I have to change what I just wrote ... someone who's crazier than I am about Richard Armitage! LOL

Now I have two reasons for enjoying my next visit to City Basement Books.

No comments: