Saturday, January 24, 2009

Project 365 Day 24 (24/01/09)

POWER OUTAGE
Today we had a power outage for what seemed like most of the daylight hours: for five hours between 10.30am and 3.30pm.

Of course I had my day planned: to get the house cleaned, finish off the washing and get the shopping done so I could have the next two days to enjoy myself.

Instead, I was reminded of how reliant we are on electricity for everything. We had to boil water in a saucepan, didn't open the fridge so it stayed as cold as possible, went without a fixed phone (we have a VOIP service) and used Clarissa's battery operated clock.


Clarissa's clock with the phone and lamp that didn't, of course, work.

And, as Clarissa added to the conversation: she understood why there were so many more children in the world!

EDITED: The power was out for a further 8 hours overnight on Saturday night.
EDITED: The power was out another 6.5 hours overnight on Sunday night, and I can't find anything about it on the internet.

No comments: