Saturday, January 24, 2009

Project 365 Day 23 (23/01/09)

HUG YOUR CHILDREN
Around 8pm on Wednesday night--as Horace, the girls and I sat safely in our home--a desperate search was underway a short way from our front door to find a missing four year old girl.

It was a hot evening, the kind many flock to the beach until the very late hours, and the Iremia family from Dandenong with their 7 children were at Mordialloc to get some relief.

It's a great spot to do that and we did it ourself when the girls were young. There's plenty for little ones to do: playground equipment in the shape of a boat covered by an awning, a pier fisherman use and many fishing boats tied up along the creek. There's also the beach and of course the water, which is invariably gentle enough for small children.


Mordialloc Beach at 8.30pm on a hot night.

But little Jennina wandered away from her parents at the beach and was found a few hours later not far from when she went missing.

I heard the police helicopter twice overhead, so loud it seemed about to land, with two dog squad units and the SES, along with many patrons from nearly hotels and restaurants. I just wish there'd been a happier outcome, and my heart goes out to the Ieremias. My best wishes and prayers go to the Iremias at the terrible time.

Every time I think of this I want to cry and I'm off (again) to hug my kids and tell them I love them.

No comments: