Friday, August 1, 2008

Things are going well

I wanted to post a quick update as I didn't get the chance last night (we got home around 9.30pm), and tonight I'll be at home long enough to eat before heading out to the hospital.

So much has happened, and all for the good.

When I arrived at the hospital around 10.30am yesterday, Horace had walked about 15 feet to the door of his ward and back to his bed, and was sitting up in a chair! That was the last thing I expected and it was so exciting.

And then when I went back with the girls about 4 hours later around 6.00pm, he seemed even stronger and had been, aided, to the toilet several times during the day.

The pain also seemed quite manageable during the day, with the hospital staff being very stern with him about keeping his pain at a certain level and not waiting until it's unbearable to ask for relief. Since Horace is a stoic and a 'wait and see' kind of guy this will be a challenge for him, but he listened very seriously and I know he'll put his mind to it.

We've been warned several times that the third day (today) is the worst for pain as the anaesthesia will have worked out of his system, but that it's not the same for everybody. As I won't get to see him for another 8 hours I've no idea how he is and my fingers and toes are crossed he's one of the lucky ones.

More tomorrow ....

No comments: