Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday knitting pattern

It's always interesting choosing a pattern book each week ... basically the most common patterns around are the 70s (which are almost all identical especially the Patons books) and the 1980s (which I'm not particularly fond of knitting wise--eek to big shoulder pads!).

But I made an exception this week with this pattern book put out by the Australian Wool Corporation. I thought the Wool Corporation was created in the 1960s, but fortunately I checked and it turns out it was created in 1973 as a single marketing oriented body to facilitate research, promotion and marketing ... and knitting patterns.


Wool has always been important to Australia. It's always been one of our more important natural resources, and it was as early as 1796 when John Macarthur bought his first merino sheep from a flock of Spanish merino reared in South Africa. Apparently at the time farmers also bought merino sheet but they cross-bred them with other sheep which resulted in coarse wool of a low quality.


I quite like the warm cardi but those pants look evil ... anybody for S&M?


This is totally my favourite. It fits my love of 40s frocks perfectly.


Do you have a favourite? And do you remember the patterns put out by the Wool Corporation?

1 comment:

NessaKnits said...

I have quite a collection of Patons and still building thanks to local oppies! I think those red pants say "Here comes a thrush infection ..." lol