Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Creative Space

As happens with all “twelve steps” program, the first step involves acknowledgement and let me start today … “My name is Susan and I’m a perfectionist”.

What’s this got to do with craft and why am I sharing? Because I frogged this week’s project because I wasn’t happy with it!

I hadn’t done that much: 3 cms of rib on a baby hat for Baby H and another dozen or so rounds in two colours at three rows at a time. About 6 cms in all I guess.

But it was driving me crazy and I’d never have been able to give it away … there were spots where the knitting was really loose when I moved from one needle to the next. And I hadn’t jogged the colours when I changed from black to red and back again, and I couldn’t stand the uneveness of it.

So I started it again and it wasn’t easy. It took me hours to cast on and redo the first round … I kept getting it twisted between the four needles, and at one stage I felt like throwing it all to the ground and screaming out at the unfairness of it all. (Gee … maybe I better change that to I’m a perfectionist and I’m stubborn!) But I finally got it to work in the end and so far I’ve redone the rib and I’m very happy with it.


Now, Auntie M, before you email me telling me not to worry … it’s not you, it’s definitely me. And it’s weird because I put this level of pressure on myself and don’t judge others to the same standards. I’ve always been the same and for most things I manage to keep it under control but that little personality flaw remains with me for crafting.

Does it happen to you too? Do you drive yourself crazy with the whole perfection thing or do you focus on the experience and getting things done, and it doesn’t matter whether things aren’t perfect? Sometimes I wish I could be like that too …

Want to see what others have been up to? Visit Kirsty at kootoyoo.

6 comments:

Cherie said...

Susan someone tagged me so to spread the love I've tagged you!
Please pop over and cut and paste the questions if you have time to spare. No worries if you're not inclined ;)
Hope you have a gorgeous weekend. xo.

Catherine said...

I have some strong perfectionist tendencies too... start and re-start a lot... (with a bit of not-finishing too!). I really struggle with the "is it good enough to give to someone else" question... good luck with the new start!

Sandrine said...

Yep...I know what you mean.There was an excellent article on Notebook magazine a couple of months ago(I could find out if you like)It was a good eye opening read for me...as to allowed ourselves to stuff up, make mistakes, being ok...Also perfect is quite a funny word what is perfect?...I am still learning.I even refused to sell some items at Markets before as I did not find the trial perfect...people must still think I was weird!:)Glad you persevered!x

quilary said...

At least you persevered! My first and only attempt is still sitting on the needles buried in a bag at the VERY bottom of the FORGET ABOUT pile!

Mistea said...

Perfection is a word that hardly makes it into my vocabulary when it comes to my own work - I see it a lot in others though. My work is about love and care.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Jo said...

I definitely don't have the perfectionist gene. Much of the stuff I make is 'god enough'. Occasionally I'll be happy with how something turns out. It is more about the 'making' for me. That said I don't think I'd ever think anything was good enough to give away or sell which is a shame.....