Saturday, June 5, 2010

Food, glorious food

Something I’ve never blogged about before (at least on this blog) is the restaurant review blog EAT AND BE MERRY, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE(T) I do with a couple of friends from work. You might even call me the editor … or maybe dogsbody. Mmm … depends on your perspective I guess. (PS I'm Snooze ... the nickname my kids gave me years ago.)


The ambience of Cookie in Swanston Street in town ... I love the retro look and feel of this place, and the food's pretty darn good too. Everything about it is cool.

I like to eat, heck … most of us do. And I love going to new places, walking and seeing new places.
Tomorrow, for example, I plan on catching the train to Glenhuntly and walking an hour to Elsternwick … all to have lunch at Babble on Babylon with one of my fellow foodies.


My favourite breakfast spot is Aix Cafe Creperies Salon in Centre Place in town. And just in case the name doesn't give it away ... you can get crepes for breakfast too.

The foodies I hang out with are mainly from work. I’m lucky to work with so many great people who like doing the same things.

We get together every week to go somewhere new, often just cheap eats but always in search of good food … which Melbourne has so much of.


Hu Tong in Market Lane in town is the best dumpling bar in the city ... the dumplings are delicate, tasty, cheap and filling. I don't think I could rave enough about this place.

And in February lunch together saw discussion of a shared blog to record our experiences … and a few days later the blog was born.


I love a good custard and it was pretty darn good at Yemeni. A bit of the beaten track for me in Ascot Vale but it can't be all bad when Matt Preston gives it a 9.

The name never fails to make me smile … no pretentious drinking involved, and most of us exercise to preserve our girlish figures! And I love the experience of enjoying good food with friends (not to mention for anybody who knows me I get to take photos!)


I think modern Asian/Fusion is my favourite food and Longrain in Little Bourke Street does it so well. A little more pricey ... but well worth the money if you have something to celebrate.

I know I’m not alone in being a food fancier … Bellsknits and her sister Delly have started the blog Delly and Bells go on a Food Safari to catalogue their journey through Maeve O’Meara’s Food Safari cookbook.

Maybe you have a food story to share? Do you eat out regularly at a place that’s kid friendly, or where the atmosphere rocks? Or perhaps you have a favourite recipe that keeps crowds coming back for more?

No comments: