Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 11 Blogtoberfest 2009 Painted building in Mordialloc

It was such a beautiful day I decided to wander around Mordialloc to explore other people's creativity ... and hit on this building.


This is the first sight of the building as you walk along the path that goes under Pompeii Bridge.

It doesn't seem to have a discernible purpose ... from the outside at least.

And for all intents and purposes this building was painted in 2004 and I've hardly taken any notice of it ... my apologies for that!

My lack of awareness is the reason behind participating in Project 365 for 2009 ... because, well, keeping my eyes on the ground wasn't finding me any money; so I was well overdue to start looking up!

It turns out the painting is done by a Mordialloc artist called Derek Kent with a number of artistic achievements to his name ... you learn something every day. His website is worth a look.


The signature by the local artist Derek Kent (2004).


The view of the building which faces the Mordialloc Creek; it's actually a view of a carnival in Mordialloc during the 1920s.


A close up of the guy watching the carnival ... love him.


The side of the building as you keep walking away from the bridge.


The side that faces the street ... celebrating indigenous culture through the flag and a spear thrower fishing.


And a close up of this last 'aboriginal' side of the building ... this was my favourite part of it.

2 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I love street art. These are great. Especially love the guy on the pole.

Sally said...

Great building. Awesome art.