Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Project 365 Wed 20 May 09

MY IMPACT ON THE WORLD
Yesterday a work colleague sent me an interesting weblink; to work out how many worlds would be required if everybody lived like me.


My result.

My answer: an embarrassing 2.3 worlds would. And after I thought we were doing so well. Obviously, still a long way to go.

Try out the test for yourself.

And check out the average Victorian result: 4 worlds!

This is a scary number.

My bitch and moan: this calculator is an oversimplification of our impact on the world eg the issue of the impact of meat versus processed foods. The calculator asks whether animal products are eaten, which of course contribute to greenhouse gas through methane production, but nothing is made of the impact of highly processed food through its creation and distribution.

Having said that, though, this is a great calculator for getting a handle on your impact on the world, and I recommend everybody does it.

No comments: