Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Creative Space

A couple of weeks ago I started this cute garment from my vintage pattern stash … and opted to use Mulberry 5 ply Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn and 4mm needles, instead of 3ply synthetic and 2.75mm needles.


This may not have been the cleverest idea because pattern makers don’t put warnings about the risks of not using the recommended yarn just for the fun of it. You guessed it … the pattern needs adjusting to fit a human child of real dimensions.

But the problem is I don’t have a child of the appropriate age to hold the garment against as I work out whether my modifications to the pattern are working. (I must think more broadly about who I can “borrow” of roughly the right size).

My first try for the body looked like it would fit a 2-3 year old so I unravelled it and this time around it looks like it will fit a 12 month old. But using the pattern has led to sleeves that for a much older child so now they need to be unravelled and rescaled to fit the body. Fortunately the pattern is an easy 8 stitch pattern, and having knitted the pattern a few times now I've got some valuable insights into how the garment is constructed.


Believe it or not after learning to knit 40ish years ago this is my first experience with modifying a pattern. I usually never deviate but I’m so inspired by the efforts of others I’m throwing myself into creating what I want. That’s a huge change to my world.

And I hope my Auntie M in Canada (and my cousin) like it. I’ve really enjoyed having so much lead time to make things and I’m not fussed making something that won’t be used for a while. Like most parents I’m sure she has loads of newborn baby things already.

What have you been up to … if you’ve a story to share or want to see more creative spaces pop over to Kirsty’s at kootoyoo. It’s always one happening creative space over there.

10 comments:

Sally said...

Oh wow - good on you for making the courageous step to modify a pattern. Very bold! ... and more impressive still is your dedication to the project - unravelling and starting again.
Good luck with the finished product - with all this learning it is sure to be wonderful.

Karen said...

I looove getting things that will fit the kids 'down the track'. When they are first born you get such a lot of stuff, that they only get to wear everything once or twice before they grow out of it and that depresses me.
Lovely colour Susan.

Ooty said...

can't wait to see it done on little model =)

Catherine said...

wow - sounds complicated but, once you've done it once, you'll be able to modify any pattern you like!

Catherine said...

(ps - last comment written by someone who has barely managed to follow a knitting pattern, let alone modify one!!)

Selina said...

Yay for stepping out of that comfort zone and tackling something you find challenging. I'm sure with that much knitting experience it will all turn out beautifully. Love that colour yarn too, just gorgeous.

moose and bird said...

I admire your adventurous spirit.....I can't knit, so the thought of trying to alter a pattern disturbs me. I'm sure it will work out perfectly in the end. Happy Friday. x

Cathie said...

i agree with the other girls...my knitting skills are at zero, so your ability to alter a pattern is amazing, well done.
goodluck with it, the colour is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Looks great so far, love that rusty red. I can't believe you had the patience to unravel and start again. Soooo not me!! Good for you though! xo m.

Natalie Hennekam said...

Oh I can't even begin to imagine modifying a pattern! LOL
That colour is absolutely delish by the way :-)