A couple of weeks ago I started this cute garment from my vintage pattern stash … and opted to use Mulberry 5 ply Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino yarn and 4mm needles, instead of 3ply synthetic and 2.75mm needles.
This may not have been the cleverest idea because pattern makers don’t put warnings about the risks of not using the recommended yarn just for the fun of it. You guessed it … the pattern needs adjusting to fit a human child of real dimensions.
But the problem is I don’t have a child of the appropriate age to hold the garment against as I work out whether my modifications to the pattern are working. (I must think more broadly about who I can “borrow” of roughly the right size).
My first try for the body looked like it would fit a 2-3 year old so I unravelled it and this time around it looks like it will fit a 12 month old. But using the pattern has led to sleeves that for a much older child so now they need to be unravelled and rescaled to fit the body. Fortunately the pattern is an easy 8 stitch pattern, and having knitted the pattern a few times now I've got some valuable insights into how the garment is constructed.
Believe it or not after learning to knit 40ish years ago this is my first experience with modifying a pattern. I usually never deviate but I’m so inspired by the efforts of others I’m throwing myself into creating what I want. That’s a huge change to my world.
And I hope my Auntie M in Canada (and my cousin) like it. I’ve really enjoyed having so much lead time to make things and I’m not fussed making something that won’t be used for a while. Like most parents I’m sure she has loads of newborn baby things already.
What have you been up to … if you’ve a story to share or want to see more creative spaces pop over to Kirsty’s at kootoyoo. It’s always one happening creative space over there.