Friday, March 12, 2010

My Thursday

I don't usually post much about day to day stuff ... but yesterday seems worth making an exception for especially as I wanted to thank Curlypops for the lift to the train station. She couldn't know at the time what a good samaritan she was ... and my story will give her an idea of exactly how welcome that lift was.

The day started out well ... I thought I'd frock up for the Northern Craft Bonanza, and I picked out a vintage 70s nylon dress reasoning it'll be cool later and it'll help keep me warm. And I wore my cute patent shoes I haven't worn in months.

Mistake. I was overdressed in every way for the building evacuation ... which I'd forgot. I work on the 44th floor ... but at least I had flat black shoes to change into. So, 20 minutes of winding clockwise down the stairs saw me out of the building ... with shaking legs and a head full of cotton wool (low blood sugar).

I resisted the urge to head for sugar as I was off to lunch within the hour and I didn't want to spoil my appetite. We had a Section send off for a colleague who'll be greatly missed at the Money Order Office (MOO) in Melbourne. The price is in inverse proportion to the portion but the food is seriously good and I was pretty mellow after a half glass of red.

By the time 5.30pm hit I was tossing up ... will I, won't I, will I ... go to the Northern Craft Bonanza? I was feeling pretty tired but I was frocked up and wanted to go ... and I did. When I got to Croxton train station I nearly got on the next train heading back to town ... but I am nothing but stubborn and kept going. (Last night I was telling Trudi and Nikki this about me in the context of knitting but it pretty well applies to everything!).

Here's the crappy part of the day ... I'd put my patent heels back on and my ankles felt weak so I thought it would be easier to walk in my bare feet. I really need to take a note not to think when my head's full of cotton wool because I managed to scrape two of my toes, one of which looks really gruesome.

I had a great night ... I always do. I barely noticed my thighs and toes. If I wasn't telling this story I'm sure nobody would even either.

But by the end of the night there wasn't a hope of me walking the 30 minutes or so to the tram stop, and here's where the wonderful Cam comes in and where I'll thank her again because I got a lift with Cam to Melbourne Central Station. There's no way I could have walked for more than five minutes ... I almost phoned Miss C to pick me up from my local station because I wasn't sure I could walk the four minutes home.

Thanks Cam.


Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing! Hurrah for crafty helpful friends.

CurlyPops said...

Oh my goodness, you're very welcome (and I'm glad you made it home safely)!
I forgot to let you know lastnight that I absolutely loved your frock and those gorgeous shoes.

helena / little mo said...

eeek! that looks nasty! You'll have to wear flip flops for a few days till your poor toe heals! xxxx

Knotted Nest said...

What a day! It just makes it even better when a friend goes out of their way to help.
Hope your toes are feeling a little better:)

Wendy said...

Ouch! Poor toes...

Your knitting looks delicate!

clare's craftroom said...

Superpops to the rescue ! I hope you are feeling much better now .

Trudi - Me and Ewe said...