Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Project 365 Tue 7 Jul 09

HOW MUCH HAVE THINGS REALLY CHANGED?
Usually my building lobby is all marble and open space, but this week there's been an amazing exhibition of Aboriginal art work and photos and I've been wandering around each day looking at something else. In fact, there are quite a few pieces I wouldn't mind seeing each day at home.


My absolute favourite; I'd love this on my bedroom wall.

But today this caught my eye ... permission in 1951 for an Aboriginal resident on a mission to leave.

I've heard and read about how protectionism and paternalism operated towards Aboriginals; hell, they weren't even recognised until the early 1960s as citizens of the country they inhabited before white people arrived.


The certificate.

But this. Cast your eye towards this sentence at the bottom where it offers Joseph Edwards the chance to " ... live like a white man".

Lucky man to be given that chance!

No comments: