Saturday, July 25, 2009

Project 365 Sat 25 Jul 09

MELBOURNE CEMETERY TOUR
I went on another of those fabolous weekend walks I enjoy ... with Phil and Tina again, and had a really enjoyable time.

Yes, it was frigid. We started our walk at 8.30am so it's hardly surprising.

Yes. the highlight of the tour was a self guided tour around the Melbourne Cemetery in Carlton. And no, I'm not kidding.


The sign at the rear entrance.

And I was so taken with the cemetery I went crazy taking photos.


I wasn't sure how to take this gravestone ... not one word about who he was (as a person) but plenty about who he was (in terms of his place in the world).


I loved this gorgeous angel.


I was so sad to see this gravestone all alone and thought how awful it must have been for the parents ... and I guess how common it must have been at the same time.


This monument was amazing.


The streets are lined with these Italian mausoleums.


This building is so fragile ... it's built of sandstone and it's so worn it looks as though it may not last much longer.


I love this beautiful Celtic cross atop one of the family graves.

No comments: