Sunday, January 18, 2009

Project 365 Day 17 (17 Jan 09)

BOOKS
I love to read the classics. I'm reading many of them for the third or even fifth time, especially Jane Austen. Others, like George Elliot and Henry Fielding, I'm reading for the first time.


Several of my little collection; Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd on the bottom of the pile.

Because I read and reread them so often, I've given up buying new copies and have been collecting small hard bound copies from the 1960s and before. Most of them are in fantastic condition and cost about $3 a copy from second hand book stores and op shops. Much cheaper than buying them new at around $10 each, with the paper lasting about five years.

Horace isn't a novel reader; his thing is to devour the daily newspapers from cover to cover. But I like to talk to him about the stories as he always has an interesting insight. So this time around I've been reading Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd aloud, two chapters per night. We're both enjoying it, and I'm understanding the novel so much better at a more leisurely pace.

No comments: